Friday 29 April 2011

The nightmare that wouldn't end...

It was pitch black. I couldn't see anything. Then someone flashed a light at me. I covered my eyes, crouched low. I was scared, very scared. They were three men, two wearing a mask. I was crouching by a car which I couldn't see before. My mother was also there, her face ashen, completely devoid of colour. The man without a mask... never seen anyone like him; tall, thin, dark with bloodshot eyes, giving me a piercing look. The demonic smile on his face made me want to run away from there. But I couldn't, I couldn't leave my mother there. She wouldn't be able to run. He made me go and get something from a corner. It was a big chest or a trunk covered with a piece of burlap with some black thread-like things sticking out. He ordered me to get a strand or two. I tugged at it; it wouldn't come off. I tugged harder and fell back with a couple of strands in my hands and a mutilated human body peeking from under the burlap. I shrieked and tried to get away from there. But he picked me up, lifted me high in the air with ease. I was too scared to even scream now. I was parallel to the ground and I couldn't even see my mother anymore. What have they done with her? He wouldn't put me down. I could feel his bony fingers digging into my spine, right in the middle. He started to dig them deeper. The pain was excruciating! All I could feel now was the pain, all I could hear was his mad, devil-like laugh. He was going to devour me slowly, he said. He was going to keep me for weeks and devour me slowly, eating away, gnawing at me, bit by bit. I wanted to feel the ground, I wanted someone to save me.
He came, he came to save me; the one I love... The one I have always loved... all these years. The tall man disappeared; I reached out trying to grasp his hand. But he wasn't looking at me. I called out to him but he still wouldn't look. Why wouldn't he look? What is that in his hand? A cube! An intricately patterned metal cube. He was looking at it carefully; I managed to come closer to him. Does he even know I'm there? Does he know I still exist? He blew something off the cube; it started opening up producing some strange smoke. The smoke was now engulfing my beloved, taking him away with it. I could barely see him now. I wanted to run after him but he doesn't even know I'm there.
I woke up with a start! Panting, gasping for breath, sobbing! It was just a nightmare! I started crying hysterically, turned to the side to reach out and feel the comforting presence of someone familiar. There was no one... just a stranger trying to reach out and help me. I still couldn't. I couldn't hold his hand, I couldn't speak. I needed to, I really needed to tell him what I had been through. Everything was so hazy and I couldn't find my voice, couldn't find anything to hold on to, couldn't control the trickling tears or the sobbing. The stranger in my bed also disappeared. No! I need someone! I need something! I'm all alone now... the dark, gloomy night slowly embracing dawn. I can't sleep. I can't stop crying. I thought it was just a dream; a painful, scary dream. But it's not. It WAS but now it has swallowed my life. I can't tell where the nightmare ended and life began. It's all entwined. Am I awake now or still dreaming? Why do I still feel the pain? Why? I get up and check my back in the mirror. Blood drains out of my face. There is blood and a fresh scar! He must have ripped my heart out. I place my hand on the left side of my chest. There is no heartbeat! I can't feel my pulse! Oh God! He took my heart! He took my HEART! 

No comments:

Post a Comment