Tuesday 20 December 2011

Old dentist vs new dentist

My old dentist was into heavy bikes. He was an aging, heavy-set man and for the life of me I couldn't picture him sitting on a heavy bike. I know I'm mean :) Seriously, this guy was obsessed with them but heavy bikes just didn't match his personality, in my opinion at least. Every time he would be working on my teeth, he would be talking on the phone, often making deals or bragging about the newly acquired pieces. Even during my root canal, he was finalizing a deal. He didn't seem to care much about my fear of being in the dentist's chair or my pain. Needless to say, I hated him! I hated the entire dentist clan; so much so that I refused to go to a very close friend who's supposed to be a very good dentist just so I wouldn't start hating him too.
Enter my new dentist!
Now this guy is a car freak from what I've heard from mutual friends and the first time I went to him I was shaking and trembling with fear. I was dead sure he would turn out to be worse than the old one. I mean, think about it, this guy was much younger so I really expected zero sympathy out of him. I thought he would be one of those rushed, money minting young dentists that I had come across while I was looking for the 'right' dentist. So I go to him and he starts shuffling through his cds to look for the 'right' kind of music. I groaned, thinking 'O God! He will turn out to be the worst one!' Seriously, car freak AND a music freak! God help me!
So I was rude to him; well, just a little...*smiling sheepishly*. But I tell you, life is full of such surprises and I can be such a prudent and prejudiced b****. Now I can be totally wrong (although I never am) but he seems to thrive on music, and it definitely does not affect his work; if anything, it probably helps him work even better. He eased me very gently into the dentist's chair and worked meticulessly on my teeth. He would stop everytime I would flinch or scowl (which is an old habit by the way; scowling, not flinching), or even if he felt I was turning pale; sometimes out of fear and sometimes because of lack of food. And no, I'm not some homeless person; we DO have money and we CAN buy food. I just choose not to eat it. The fact that after seven years I'm still going to this guy says a lot about my 'new dentist'.
Recently he suggested I listen to this one particular song, which is not me but as he predicted, it kinda grows on you. I'm also sharing a link where Sonu Nigam's four year old son has sung it. The kid is adorable and incredibly talented, just like his cute dad :)



No comments:

Post a Comment