Saturday 16 March 2013

My Ordinary Life!

I am no ordinary woman; I am even more ordinary than the ordinary woman! While she would like to shop for designer lawns and try out every new, hip restaurant in town; I would spend that same time wrapping a tatty old table's legs in rope and decoupaging it to turn it into a coffee table. I live a somewhat simple life or so I would like to believe, and I'm striving to make it even more simpler. I have seen the highs and lows as we all have, and I know there are many more to come. During the lowest point in my life I am constantly reminded of all the beauty and goodness that I am surrounded with. The plants that I tend to, the brief period in the morning when I water them; the amazing works of writing and art that people prolifically produce and I'm able to enjoy; the feathered visitors that come regularly to take a dip in the little pond out there in the balcony, the special moments with my children, the most amazing line of work that I am in, the wonderful people I'm surrounded with, the talent that inspires me, the steaming cup of tea every morning that Mushtaq the tea boy makes, the silence of the night, my quiet time, the crickets chirping outside, a few beautiful memories, my plant stake windmills whizzing away in the breeze, the delectable flavours that my taste buds are often enticed with, the sound of the bamboo wind chimes, the fragrance of Jasmine, the sight of my office every morning and how it excites me when I'm just a few minutes away; the list is endless.
I spend my mornings watching the sunrise and pampering my plants; my day working on something that gives me more pleasure than any other work could have, and my evenings enjoying the little anecdotes that my children come up with. Nights are another story though. That is my time that I love to spend reading or doodling on my notepad while trying to figure out what I want to work on more, a graphic fact-based fiction piece on parenting or one on a group of patriotic, optimistic, courageous youngsters. So I scribble and I doodle and I write and then doodle some more. Somehow the crude sketches always turn out better in my head than on paper. Then the writing bit - I don't really write much, I type; so I doodle on the notepad, then scribble two lines, then feel overly exhausted by the strenuous task of scribbling those two lines and then just take the easy way out and type away on my laptop that really truly needs a break. If I think about it, I don't do much apart from what I have mentioned above. My modes of entertainment? Cinema, theatre, books, art, friends and a little music. It just makes me realize how limited my world is and how similar all my interests are. I would love to be a more diversified kind of a person but I'm just not. But you know what, I'm satisfied with my ordinary life because I get to do what I truly want and enjoy. So this one is to my ordinary yet content life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment