Wednesday 25 July 2012

The Captivating Silence

I sit under the open sky, with cool breeze playfully brushing past me. I hear people talking around me, sitting in small groups, enjoying their lattes and cappuccinos; yet all I can hear is silence. Yes, you can HEAR silence! Sometimes it can be deafening, sometimes mind-numbing and sometimes so melodious, like a sweet lullaby. Tonight is one of those nights when silence is simply beautiful and mesmerizing. It's 1:00 am and I'm at my favourite haunt, sitting outside with my usual glass of Sunrise. It's amazing what a difference a pod of vanilla can make, once combined with zesty orange. For the past couple of hours, people have been coming and going; but I have made no attempt or shown no desire to move from my usual spot outside the cafe. As I sit here with my trusty Ipad, I get a whiff of delicious cocoa every time the glass door slides open. It's incredible how much there is to see just on this stretch of the road, yet I only see what I want to see. I see the beautiful, lush green trees, holding their heads high up in the air; I see the numerous lamp posts dotted every few meters, their lights twinkling like dozens of stars descended on earth; and I see the night skies, so similar to what I see back home yet so unfamiliar. The Rest; the people, the tall buildings, the hustle and bustle of Orchard Road, are all just a blur. Sometimes just a beautiful memory, perhaps that of your father holding your tiny hand when you were a little girl, or your brother singing with you; a dear cousin confiding in you or your son's tiny little button-nose, gives you such pleasure. Sometimes, the thought of someone going through the trouble of finding the perfect present for you, just to see the ecstatic look on your face; or a close friend's emotional support when you need it the most; makes you feel so loved. Tonight, I feel engulfed in warm pleasure, thinking of all those beautiful memories. Tonight, the silence is singing a captivating song; one that will continue ringing in my ears for several days. Tonight, I'm transported to another world; one with hope, promise and peace. I heave a sigh and take everything in, making a promise.. To return one day, but only when I feel that I will be able to find beauty and peace every single night here, as I have tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment