Friday 18 May 2012

Dewdrops, Sunshine, Rainbows and Unicorns...

"It is a gift we humans have, to hold on to beauty felt in a moment for a lifetime. Suddenly beauty comes to us, and we gratefully take it. We may not be able to recite time and place, but the memories can come flooding back, felt full force without warning or brought on purposefully by a triggering event. The smell of pinecones, the whiff of popcorn, the taste of a cold beer, or the bite of mint: a jumble of feelings, and then a sudden clarity of beauty or joy or sadness. Beauty is in the moments that endure, the moments that enliven us again and again."
                                                                 Nina Sankovitch,
                                                                 Tolstoy and the Purple Chair

My first memory of something beautiful was a glimpse of clear blue skies as I lay on the 'takhat' in the courtyard in my grandparents’ house. But I couldn’t touch it as much as I longed to. One thing I could touch though was the Jasmine bush covering one entire corner of the wall; with its fragrant, delicate white blossoms sprinkled all over like little snowflakes. I was a quiet child who used to spend hours in her own little world, exploring, dreaming, finding the most exquisite things to add to her treasures. Things that others seemed oblivious to, piqued my interest. I would spend hours watching sparrows perching daintily on the branches of the tree right outside the courtyard. I loved to gaze at the small patch of moss, admiring the gorgeous rich shade of green; and the frangipani tree..sigh..I still remember how I would trace the outline of the soft petals after collecting the blossoms scattered all over the courtyard. Dewdrops, sunshine, rainbows, unicorns...I had my own private paradise. Years passed by and I changed with time in many ways. But the little girl in me travelled through time with me, not letting go of my hand even in the darkest moments. She gave me strength, courage and the ability to find beauty in the most unexpected places. She never let me wander off... I continued to prefer shells and pebbles, colour and music, flowers and books, birds and butterflies...
And now for some beautiful things...
 My assortment of shells that I 'inherited' from a friend's grandmother ;) I love to play around with shells, candles and plants...

 Tilly, Jilly and Abigail, my Jim Shore cats. They are made in stone resin and Abigail is inspired by  vintage American quilt pattern..I never get tired of looking at them..Unfortunately I couldn't find Windsor who has a tulip pattern :(

 One of my larger shells that usually rests on some coffee table books

 December 2010, I painted some birds in watercolour cuz I always wanted to.. This was my way of rebelling





 I love my pharoah resting under a plant

 The gorgeous balconies with green glass panes make my heart flutter

If I had to choose one tree, it would be frangipani...sigh...

 I find pebbles sooo beautiful, I have them all over the house; in the bathroom with my buddha perched on it; in the pond in my balcony; with candles; in vases; simply everywhere...

 And I love beautiful moments like these :)

No comments:

Post a Comment